Support Cloud-Driven Development
There are multiple vendors promoting their platform or software as helping with development and test in the cloud. To best support cloud-driven development, look for the following:
- Ability to create and save server configurations (Cloud Software Stacks)
- A self-service tool that allows developers to spin-up cloud resources
- Ability for administrators to control who can self-service and what configurations they can stand-up
- Ability to audit changes, and revert to previous versions of configurations or stacks (optional)
- Cost reporting (optional)
Cloud-driven development can improve quality and save costs by empowering your developers to fully test code whenever they need. By providing testing resources to developers as required and without delay, bugs are found earlier and performance issues are addressed in development instead of in staging. Together with agile development, cloud-driven development improves the efficiency of your development team.
Rock Rocaberte is a cloud computing technology director with expertise in managing the entire software development life-cycle from design to production implementation. Rock co-founded Software.com, a startup internet messaging firm which became a NASDAQ listed company. He has managed and led high-achieving, global software engineering teams in startup and enterprise environments. His background includes professional services, product management, program management and technical marketing. Rock has a computer science degree from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and an MBA from UCLA.