No Application is an Island
No application lives in isolation. It depends on a variety of other objects which could be other applications, or objects in the environment the application requires to run. These might include:
· Operating system
· Software (e.g., Java/Tomcat/.Net)
· Patch levels/security updates
· Data structures (and changes to these)
· Configuration tables and data
· External partner systems or services, including news feeds and the like
· Interfaces to other applications
Linking Software Development and ITIL
All software development projects start with some statement of requirements (however informally defined), and if the project is successful, it delivers a released application or system which produces value for the business.
So there are a set of inputs, and a set of outputs, and we can relate these to ITIL processes and CIs which may be controlled in your CMS/CMDB.