Take a Vacation
No one is too valuable to take a vacation. Everyone needs time off to recharge and gain a new perspective. Don’t think you are sacrificing yourself for the good of your team. Want to really treat your team members well? Discuss what you make decisions about with them. See what they are willing to manage. Experiment and delegate more. You might discover that your team is much more self-managing than you could imagine.
And, all because you had the guts to take a vacation. Imagine that!
Read all of Johanna's Management Myths here:
- The Myth of 100% Utilization
- Only the 'Expert' Can Perform This Work
- We Must Treat Everyone the Same Way
- I Don't Need One-on-Ones
- We Must Have an Objective Ranking System
- I Can Save Everyone
- I Am Too Valuable to Take a Vacation
- I Can Still Do Significant Technical Work
- We Have No Time for Training
- I Can Measure the Work by the Time People Spend at Work
- The Team Needs a Cheerleader!
- I Must Promote the Best Technical Person to Be a Manager
- I Must Never Admit My Mistakes