- they can deal with appropriate levels of detail whatever the technology that is thrown at them. They understand the important principles in terms of automation, repeatability and reliability and can adapt these to the job at hand. The intricacies of dependency calculations and parallel building techniques hold no fear for them.
- Politically aware (the sub-species of Machiavellian Builders) - they seek to influence decisions as to which languages and technologies are used, and ensure that the requirements of building and releasing are designed in from the outset.
This academic research on the rise of Renaissance Builder might appear to be wishful thinking, but is strongly supported by the increasing frequency of occurent of the title “build engineer” in job postings. We can’t think why this prosaic title was chosen in place of “Renaissance Builder”, but bow to the inevitable and just seek to encourage further evolution.
- Building for Success , CM Journal, Apr 2005 (Vol 4. No. 4), by Robert Cowham, Steve Berczuk and Brad Appleton
- The Importance of Building Earnestly , CM Journal, Feb 2005 (Vol 4. No. 2), by Steve Berczuk, Robert Cowham and Brad Appleton
- The Samba Build Farm - interesting example of "farming it out"