In his CM: the Next Generation series, Joe Farah gives us a glimpse into the trends that CM experts will need to tackle and master based upon industry trends and future technology challenges.
process, it won't have a big influence on the overall process or standards. Still, if we had to pick a term, I like update package, because it's clear, or increment, clear but a bit more general in nature.
My Vote: Update package, increment (in that order)
So there you have it. I've hit on some of the big ones, but there are still many to go. Please add to this article through the reply mechanism. What terms do you use/not use for CM artifacts, and why? Do you think we can ever attain common ground? We've been further apart than we are now. Some terms, like branch and test case, were agreed upon decades ago. Some may never get there.
Just to summarize my picks:
- Change set, update, change
- Problem, defect, bug
- Activity, task
- Request, change request,
- Customer requirement, (product) requirement, design requirement
- Item, artifact file, document, record
- Iteration, internal release, life cycle
- Stream, development stream, product branch, release stream
- Build, build record, build notice
- Context view, context, view
- Update package, increment, service pack, change supplement
What are yours?