Building a CM Job Description
Using the responsibility definitions from “The CM Responsibilities in the Dev-to-Prod Lifecycle” section, we can begin to identify specific skills needed to perform the role.
Configuration Management Tool Implementer
Based on the major responsibilities classified in the “CM Roles to Responsibilities Matrix” above (based on the “establish the CM infrastructure” responsibility), here are the skills needed within this CM role. This role typically requires a senior-level CM professional.
· Analysis skills: Ability to evaluate the current environment, gather needs, and propose a recommended CM solution
· Design/architect skills: Ability to define and design CM standards for the technology
· CM process skills: Ability to define manageable CM processes (checkout/checkin, merge, build, release, etc.) and implement them
· CM technology skills: Ability to install CM technology based on needs and to integrate the CM technology with other technologies (development IDEs, defect tracking, etc.)
· Scripting skills: Ability to automate major processes
· System administration skills: Knowledge and ability to use the operating system(s) the CM technology runs on
· Customer service and communication skills: Ability to work graciously with users while resolving their issues
· Training and facilitation skills: Ability to prepare CM technology and process training for users and the ability to deliver the training effectively