Study of Myers-Briggs Types Relative to CM Professionals (2007)

    • of CM professionals surveyed exhibited a proclivity of having an Intuition preference.  This may imply that many CM professionals are forward thinking from the point that they are motivated by perceived improvements in the future and less focused on the existing conditions today. However, it is important to note that this is down from 78% tallied in the 2003 study.
    • The Thinking (T) or Feeling (F) preference-set again produced a meaningful difference.  A tally of 68% of the CM Professionals surveyed indicated the Thinking preference.  This may imply that due to the relatively
    • technical and procedural nature of CM work, the ability of making decisions using logic and objective reasoning attracts and keeps this type of person in the CM field.  This is relatively steady from the 2003 survey where 72% were Extroverted and 28% were Introverted.     
    • The Introvert (I) or Extrovert (E) preference-set difference is not considered significant.  A tally of 64% of the CM Professionals surveyed exhibited a leaning toward the Introvert preference, although a fair number exhibited an outward Extrovert preference.  Since CM roles and responsibilities range from intensive focused technical tasks to external communication of plans and procedures, it may be appropriate to have a good balance of the two.  This is relatively steady from the 2003 survey where 62% were Extroverted and 38% were Introverted. 

A conclusion drawn from the survey may indicate that if a person has the Myers-Briggs individual preferences of introvert (I), intuition (N), thinking (T), judging (J) or more specifically the latter three preferences ( NTJ) may be suited to work in the CM field.  

To corroborate this, those CM professionals in this survey that indicated an INTJ type accounted for 32% of the total responses.  Combining this with those that have the ENTJ type (another 13%), then the NTJ grouping accounts for 45% of all responses.  Given that these (INTJ and ENTJ) are only two of the sixteen possible types or 12.5% (of the 16 types), this is a significant difference. 

To make this difference even more meaningful, consider that the general population has 7% INTJ and ENTJ types (from Chart 1 where INTJ = 1% and ENTJ =
6%).  However, the CM professional population has 45% INTJ and ENTJ types. 
This is quite a dramatic difference.  There is clearly some correlation between the type of work CM professionals perform and those who express NTJ preferences.

In addition, the results of the CM Process roles versus the CM Tool roles indicate the CM Tool role grouping is somewhat diverse across several MBTI® while the CM Process role grouping indicates an exceptional high percentage of folks in the INTJ type. 

What is also clear from 2003 to 2007 is that the initial data collected in 2003 had been validated by the 2007 data.  While there are some variations, many data points are similar given the 4 year gap. 

I would like to invite others to utilize or extend this study so that we can better understand the traits and needs of CM professionals.          

Lastly, I would like to extend a great-big "Thank You" to the 87 CM professionals who took the time out of their busy schedules to contribute their Myer Briggs types. 


  •  "A Study of Myers-Briggs Types Relative to CM Professionals ", by Mario Moreira, 2003
  • To read more on Isabel Briggs Myers, go to:  
  • ®Myers Briggs Type Indicator and MBTI are registered trademarks of Consulting Psychologists Press Inc. Oxford Psychologists Press Ltd has exclusive rights to the trademark in the UK. TMMTR-i and Management Team Roles - Indicator are trademarks of S P Myers. S P Myers is no relation to Isabel Briggs-Myers.
  • Libraries Special Collections, Isabel Briggs Myers Papers Manuscript Group 64, University of Florida, George A. Smathers. 
  •  "Please Understand Me" by David Keirsey and Marilyn Bates, 1978, Prometheus Nemesis Book Co.
  •  "Type Talk" by Otto Kroeger and Janet

About the author

AgileConnection is a TechWell community.

Through conferences, training, consulting, and online resources, TechWell helps you develop and deliver great software every day.